Shillong has been one of the most popular tourist destinations in the northeast India. Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, is also known as “Scotland of the East” due to its remarkable similarity with the Scottish Highlands
It is located at distance of 104 km from Guwahati, Assam.
In this guide, you will get to know about the incredible places to visit in Shillong along with the other important information.
How to reach Shillong.
- By Air: There is a direct flight service from Kolkata Airport to Shillong. It takes around 90 minutes.
- By Road: You can book a cab if You are in Guwahati. Shillong is 115 km from Guwahati Airport and 97 km from Guwahati Railway Station.
Shared taxi service is available from the Airport and also from Paltan Bazar. Shuttle Service is also available from Guwahati Airport operated by Govt. of Meghalaya.
You can hire an Ola/Uber outstation cab as well; they charge somewhere around INR 1700.
You can also get share taxi (Sedan Cars) for 300 to 400 per seat. Tata Sumo normally charges anything between 200 to 250 but they are not comfortable at all.
It takes approx. 2 – 3 hrs to reach shilling from Guwahati by a cab.
Here’s a perfect tour schedule
- Day 1. Shillong City and its nearby areas
- Day 2. Shillong to Cherrapunjee (54 km)
- Day 3. Cherrapunjee to Mawlynnong and Dawki (85 km)
Here are 6 Best Places to Visit in Shillong
- Umiam Lake
- Shillong Peak
- Elephant Falls
- Laitlum Canyons
- Sweet Falls
- Police Bazaar
Places to visit in Cherrapunjee
- Kynrem Falls/Thangkharang Park
- Mawsmai Cave
- Seven Sisters Falls
- Nohkalikai Falls
- Dainthlen Falls
- ECO Park
Places to visit near Cherrapunjee
- Double Decker Living Root Bridge
- Mawsynram – The wettest place on Earth
- Mawlynnong – The cleanest village in Asia
- Dawki – The most transparent river in India.
Umiam Lake also known as Bora Pani is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Shillong.
This man-made lake is 15 km north of Shillong. Umiam literally translates into water of tears. It is also almost 4 times the size of San Marino or Bermuda.
One can enjoy various water activities like kayaking, water cycling, boating and scooting here. The tourists can also enjoy paddle boats, sailing boats, row boats, cruise as well as speed boats.
There are many other fun activities for the children, besides boating.
Shillong Peak is one of the best places to visit in Shillong. It offers 360-degree bird’s-eye view of the distant hills and Shillong city. This peak is surrounded by hills and valleys and it’s the highest viewpoint of Shillong.
- Timings: All Days – 9 am to 3:30 pm
- Distance from The City: 4 km
- Tip: Carry a valid ID proof for entry
- How to Reach: You can book a private cab from the city. It will take 30 to 45 minutes.
Elephant Falls is a three-tier flowing beauty and the most stunning waterfall of the city. The clear waters flowing through dark jutting rocks characterize the beauty of Elephant falls in Shillong. You can also enjoy shopping from local shops located at the entrance.
- Timings: All days – 9 am to 5 pm
- Entry fee: INR 20 per person
- Tip: This place has convenient access for the disabled too.
- Distance From The City: 11 Kilometres
Literally translating into the “end of the hills”, Laitlum Canyons is the most offbeat name in the list of Shillong tourist places. It’s very picturesque and provides an amazing view of valleys and green cover. One has to walk down the stairs built to enjoy it fully, which connects the villages down the Valley. Laitlum Canyons is the perfect place for trekking enthusiasts, nature admirers, and peace seekers.
- Distance From The City: 4 kilometers.
- Tip: The destination comprises a steep trek for a few kilometers.
Sweet Falls is one of the steepest and the most mesmerizing falls of shillong. It lies about 5 km from Happy Valley and is about 96 metres in height. It is often termed as the “most beautiful” yet “most dangerous” waterfall in Shillong.
Alternatively referred to as Kshaid Wetden, Sweet Falls are 315ft in height.
- Distance from Police Bazaar: 12 Kilometres.
- How to Reach: The only way to reach there either book a cab or rent a car.
Police Bazar is the most popular market situated in the heart of Shillong. Along with the modern shops, one can also find an array of traditional shops selling exquisite handicrafts from Meghalaya. This market is ideal for a tourist and its one of the best place to visit in Shillong.
- Tip: You have to Brush up your bargaining skills to be able to buy things at a fair price at Police Bazaar.
Kynrem Falls/ Thangkharang Park
The Kynrem Falls is the 7th highest waterfalls in India. It is located 12 kilometres from Cherrapunji. The Kynrem Falls is situated inside the Thangkharang Park.
Thangkharang park is a major tourist attraction of Cherrapunjee providing an amazing view.
The Kynrem Falls is a three-tiered waterfalls, with water falling from a height of 305 metres. This waterfall is best enjoyed during the monsoons. During rain it looks specular with huge volume of water cascading down the jagged rock face.
- Distance from Cherrapunjee Town: 16km
- Timings: 7AM to 5PM (April to September) 7AM to 4PM (October to March)
- Entry Fee: 1 per person
Mawsmai Caves are limestone caves situated in Meghalaya. The 150 meters long caves are the major tourist attraction of Meghalaya.
Mawsmai cave are the most accessible cave for many tourists. It is one of the few caves in India that one can explore without a guide.E
- Timing: 9:30AM to 5:30PM
- Entry Fee: 20 per person
- Distance from Cherrapunjee Town: 6km.
Seven Sister Falls
The seven sisters fall is a kind of waterfall which signifies the seven states in northeast. The Seven Sister Falls is also known as Nohsngithiang Falls or Mawsmai Falls. It is a seven-segmented waterfall located 1 kilometre south of Mawsmai village.
These falls get enlightened by the sun and the vibrant colors of the setting sun on the waterfalls makes it stunning.
The falls are mostly dry in winter and decent in late summer. Be sure to visit it in monsoon to experience the absolute power of nature.
Nohkalikai Falls is the tallest waterfall in India (340 metres). This waterfall 7km far from Cherrapunji town. Nohkalikai Falls are fed by the rainwater collected on the peak of a comparatively small plateau and decrease in power during the dry season in December – February.
Nohkalikai Falls is one of the best places to visit in Shillong. It is a spectacular cascade that plunges an estimated 340 meters from a lushly forested plateau down to a rocky green or often turquoise-colored pool below. One word to describe is breathtaking.
- Entry fee: INR 20 per person. INR 100 per car. Parking space and Paid toilets are available.
- Tip: You have to climb 300 steps to reach the base of the waterfall.
Dainthlen Falls is also one of the famous falls of Cherrapunjee. Just before reaching Sohra, a road to the right, leads to Dainthlen Falls which is 5 kms away from the road.
The turbulence of this fall assembles a lot of steam during the monsoons compared to the rest of the year.
Designed and maintained by the Government of Meghalaya, Eco Park is one of the popular tourist attractions of Cherrapunjee.
The scenic beauty from the edge stunning. On the other side of the Eco Park is a view point to see the Bangladesh plains.
- Timings: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Ticket Price: 20 Per Head
Double Decker Living Root Bridge
Meghalaya’s double-decker Living Root Bridge is unique in the world and a sight to behold. This Centuries-old bridge is not built but grown from tangled roots.
This double-decker root bridge which demands an arduous trek downhill (over 3000 steps) to reach the point.
- Note: You have to trek 1.5 km to get the bridge. It will take 3 to 5 hours to explore, so plan accordingly.
Mawsynram – The wettest place on Earth
A rain lover’s paradise, Mawsynram is one of the best tourist attractions of India. Mawsynram is the wettest place on Earth and it is situated 65 kilometres from Shillong.
Mawlynnong – The cleanest village in Asia
Mawlynnong is the cleanest village in Asia, it is also known as God’s Own Garden and for all the right reasons. In 2003, this vilage was awarded the title of the cleanest Village in Asia by Discover India.
You can find some of the most spectacular natural bridges there along with a sky view, which is an 85 feet high viewing tower that’s made of bamboo.
- Entry fee: Tourists are charged a fee of INR 50.
- Must see: There is a tree house which gives an amazing top view of the village.
Dawki – The most transparent river in India.
Dawki is situated 35 KM away from Mawlynnong. Dawki is famous for Umgot river. Its one of the most transparent rivers of India. Umngot river, is a beautiful green streak that is flanked by Bangladesh and India on either side.
- Must do: You must try a boat ride in the Dawki river.
- Boating charges: INR 500/boat